Sunday, January 25, 2015

Tau Ethereal made from Reaper Bones

I had picked up a bunch of Reaper's Bones figs and one of them caught my eye as a potential female etheral. She was wearing armored boots with a high heel and when I removed the heel they looked vaguely similar to a Tau's foot. I then removed her nose and tried to cut the Tau head slit into her forehead. I couldn't tell how effective my cuts where because the whiteness of the plastic makes it really hard to see the tiny details of the fig. I also removed her pinkey fingers so she would have the correct number. A few Tau bits were added to complete the look.

Oh and just an FYI for anyone looking to work with Reaper Bones figs. The plastic is super easy to cut. The only issue I've had is with mold lines. The ones I bought didn't have a lot of mold lines but what little is there is a real pain to get rid of. You can't shave them off with the edge of a hobby knife. You have to try to cut them off and with the plastic being so easy to cut if you're not careful you can cut too deep really easily. But overall they are still great figs to work with and you can't beat the price.

After having some issues with getting my Ethereal primed, I usually use a brush on primer but the Reaper plastic hates watery paint, I found that Army painter spray primer works great on it. Once I had her primed I didn't have any other issues getting her painted up.
Final thoughts on Reaper Bones figures. The best thing about Bones is the price. I got this fig from the Warstore for only $1.99. The plastic is very easy to cut so they are great for making conversions. The detail isn't as good as the metal versions but its still decent. The plastic reacts weird to any paint that has been watered down but if you hit it with army painter spray primer they paint up just fine. Overall I like the bones line and I will be buying more for other projects I am working on.

No comments:

Post a Comment