Friday, March 6, 2015

The Independent Characters 2015 Hobby Progress Challenge!



Since 2012 the fantastic Warhammer 40k podcast, the Independent Characters, have run a hobby progress challenge on their forums. The goal of the challenge is to have a painted army by the end of the year. All the details can be found in the forum so I won't go into it too much here. Even though I have been in this hobby for almost 20 years I have never had a fully painted army to field on the table. Well that might not be totally true. When I was in high school I probably had enough painted ork stuff to field a fully painted force, but they were so badly painted I don't really feel like they should count. I mean I never even used primer or washes back then lol.



Every month of the challenge you are supposed to post a before and after pic of the minis you plan on painting that month. For the month of febuary I chose to paint 6 space marine terminators. Since this was going to be my first time painting my custom chapter, the Gorgon's Fist, I decided to start with the terminator models because their armor gives me more room to play around with colors then a smaller regular space marine.

I ended up settling on the color Cold Grey from vallejo as the main color of my chapter. I also went with my favorite color, Dark Seagreen from vallejo, for the color of the weapons.

Here is my completed group shot. I plan on doing the bases later when I have built the display board for my army.

I'm happy with the results so far. My main goal for the challenge to to get a full force to table top ready. Then later I can go back to add more detail like decals and high lights. One thing that has always prevented me from completing an army is that I would spend to much time on the little details and get burned out on painting the army. With the monthly commitments of the hobby progress challenge I hope to focus on the big picture and leave the little stuff for later.

No comments:

Post a Comment